Saturday, October 17, 2009

Sherwin Williams White


I can't seem to focus on getting any work done. Currently I am defining work as "Creating a kitchen" in the studio. As "closing" nears we are starting to move out of our temporary space into the studio to save money. The studio is a very large building that is also 100 years old. It was the "Cable Company" for many years. So locally, everyone here refers to it as such. So it's time I start painting  (straight painting.)


I wasn't very excited at the prospect of buying this cracking money pit, but after Jonathan, my architect, stressed that it was crucial to protect our investment, I begrudgingly caved in and decided to purchase it. Since I do not have the budget to "rehab" the building, we hope to win grants along the way and keep it limping along. The back of the building is cracking and caving due to a sink hole. The contractor felt that we basically needed to just slice the dilapidated part off and create a whole new exterior wall. SIGH....but I can't think about that right now, it's too far away and I have too much to think about in the present.


So anyway, here I am trying to get motivated, and somehow, somehow, come up with a wave of energy to start creating a room that will house a "temporary" kitchen that we can survive in. The kitchen is crucial, not only for food, but as a way to boil water to bathe. Yes BATHE, we don't have a shower here. I guess for us it really isn't that big of a deal. We managed to live in Haiti without electricity, or should I say ONE hour in an average 48 hour period, we lived in CHILLY Cusco Peru without heat (lots of sweaters, layers and for Serena, her baby alpaca bears), and we loved our life in Thailand without running water. Remember stories of me running around with buckets catching rain water? So boiling water to bucket bathe isn't that big of a deal, not ideal, but still something we can live easily with.
I can only imagine the therapy bills that will be coming my way from our little princess Diva Serena? Can you see it? "Well, Life was confusing, I remember visiting my dad at his ocean view condo and enjoying the best of Balboa Island, and then coming home to bathe in a bucket in West Texas!" Can you hear it already? Oh well, I guess I better start saving for the therapy bills. :-).........which is really why I need to get off the computer and start to work. lol

Seriously though, I don't even think Serena know what "normal" is. Today she decided that she wanted to hike the Inca Trail again. When I told her that she might have to wait until she was older, she said that it was fine, maybe when she turns 10 she will go again! LOL, she has such a clueless innocence about her.

As I go in to tackle the kitchen I have bought and am starting to live and learn "Sherwin Williams White." This is the color Jonathan wants the exterior and interior of the space! For those who know me well, has there ever been a white wall in my space? NOPE! For those who don't you can see how colorful my world usually is at http://www.2842raleighstreet.com/ So anyway, I'm starting to try to envision a life with Sherwin Williams White (SWW).

I really like what Jonathan is doing with the space and I totally dig it. It's about blending in with the beautiful sky here in the Wild Wild West. It's about creating a living space that floats like a cloud within the natural backdrop of sky blue. As a maximalist, I feel like I need the simplicity in our living space. I can clutter up my studio!


As I am trying to learn to live with SWW, I started creating with it. It's an interesting transition for me, It begins with reversing my color palette. It somehow calls for more simplistic creations. I have a lot of pieces started but I finally finished one piece.

It's a fun place to be.  I'm sure more SWW pieces will be completed in the next month or so.

Well anyway, I should head off and paint our temporary kitchen SWW so can start to understand how to live with it and learn to use objects as paint brush strokes instead of the other way around.

Sherwin Williams White...Here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment