Thursday, January 14, 2010

Help Haiti, Understand her more and STOP the tweeting!

The second news broke that Haiti was victim to a massive earthquake, I have to admit that I did not react. As someone who has been in an out of Haiti since the late 1990's I've been thru this more times than I care to admit. I am in the middle of my own nightmare trying to preserve and restore a historical building in order to provide my 7 year old a home. I was not quite ready to take on another Haitian nightmare.
Most who know me, know me as someone with strong ties to Haiti. That is quite a burden to carry. In a way I wonder if I thought moving to a small town like Pecos, Texas would allow me to start all over and leave the nightmares behind. I have a recurring nightmare when it comes to Haiti. In my nightmare I am falling into a black hole looking for someone or something to hang onto. I usually wake up sweating and shaking and think...oh "My Haiti Dream." UGH...not again. I have been to therapy and have learned to channel the negative images and spin them into a positive outcome but it does get exhausting.

Lucky for me that my dream evaporates when I wake up, however, for the people that live on the impoverished island, my nightmare is their daily reality. They cannot escape it by waking up. But even holed up in a small town in the middle of nowhere the reality once again becomes mine. But now it's personal. I cannot get a hold of Turgo Bastien. TURGO is one of my best friends and I do not know how to react or feel. The majority of my being wants to hide and come back a week later after the dust has settled and see what happened, but my conscious is not allowing for such a cowardice act.

Knowing Turgo as well as I do, I can see him covered in soot and cuts removing rubble off of the victims. He is strong, relentless and caring. That is how I am choosing to see him right now- that is the only way that I can move forward because I can hear Turgo's voice screaming to me "Cheri, I'm fine, GET HELP!"

As much as I wanted to just sit around and work on my own project that causes me my own level of grief and angst, I had to halt it and focus on the forgotten Island. Despite how tempting it is to turn the other way (after all haven't I done my part already) I decided to face my nightmares again! I co-founded an organization in Haiti moons ago with Judy Hoffman. Today,  Judy steers the helm and has dedicated her days and nights to the organization. I have always helped when I can or under emergency situations. SADLY, emergency situations are often and huge, so it means I have to roll my sleeves up and get to it more times than I would care to say.

Turgo Bastien, our other co-founder, is on the ground with his family. His family is the glue that keeps the foundation going. Without them http://www.artforhaitianchildren.org/ would not exist.

So as I try to make sense of all of this piece by piece, I would like to share information that might help you decide how to help Haiti, should you choose to.

As I mentioned earlier, ACFFC (http://www.artforhaitianchildren.org/) is a grassroots organization that is dedicated to feeding, empowering and raising 63 children. As of current there have been no communication with the leaders of the foundation, however, photographs taken nearby are preparing us for macabre news.

So until that moment comes when all the shards of reality presents themselves in front of me to create a shattered mirror that I am forced to look into...I am choosing to stay with Turgo in spirit. I am there behind him pulling rocks and debris off the victims of Haiti the only way I can from this location. It is within this delusional dream that I can focus and stay proactive.

TURGO IF YOU CAN HEAR ME...I AM BEGGING FOR HELP!

I know that it has become second nature to support the Red Cross and Unicef: Let me explain briefly, without sounding too negative,  why one should not. Think of them as a government entity; Archaic and slow. Grassroots organizations are like little ants on the ground that know how to maneuver, speak the language, understand the culture and know how to negotiate for everything according to the norm. The bigger agencies pay for big advertising space, screen print their boxes for "photo ops" and make sure everyone is given shirts and water bottles to show the world that they have a presence.


The smaller agencies share camps and resources, I can already see PIH and HAS sharing doctors, supplies, space, food and water. No egos involved. Red Cross will have their own camp and for the most part isolate themselves. Their staff usually does not know the language nor the customs and require all agencies to "sign" and account for ever syringe etc that is taken to help a victim. What you will see with the smaller agencies is how quickly they adapt to each other's moves and needs. Before you know it, they are a fast moving millipede that has been created with a little of this and a little of that. The larger agencies will still be setting up their fancy camps that show all of their LOGO work on them with a diagram attached within the box it came in. I can go on and on and on and on....but I won't. Don't get me wrong, the larger agencies do help, but for the MILLIONS of dollars that go their way, only a small percentage trickles in.

If you donate a box of medical supplies to an organization like http://www.zanmilakay.org/ who is not designed for this set up, they will negotiate and beg for free shipping to get the product in. When they arrive in Haiti, they know enough people that they do not have to pay the "bribe" to get it in and have someone they know waiting for them at the airport to rush them into action. They will arrive not knowing what is before them with supplies and become part of the millipede team that is moving piece by piece to create a safe space. Because they speak the language and know many people there they add to the legs of the millipede that continues to morph and change as necessary. Nothing is constant but change. They become part of the Haitian Millipede that gets two new legs for every tired one they lose. This is the Haitian core group of devoted humanitarians who have been crying Haitian tears for most of their lives. These grassroots teams have been there, are there, and will be there after all the major names pack up with the fancy logos and leave. These teams will be crying with the victims, because the victims are their friends and their family. Their compassion is steadfast and their emotions are rooted. Below are the organization I give money to and assist when I can. Whatever you choose to do, is fine...but PLEASE HELP.

PLEASE DON'T TWEET MONEY! Because of the admin process it can take up to 90 days to reach the victims! Donate via their website, it isn't as fun as tweeting but it's more effective.

I will continue to edit this page and post photos and more links but for now I wanted to get it out there.

First Responders
http://www.pih.org/
http://www.hashaiti.org/

2nd Responders
http://www.lambifund.org/

Healing Responders
http://www.artforhaitianchildren.org/
http://www.zanmilakay.org/

Companies and People trying to help

Ted Frankel of AVAM has been going to Haiti forever...his love for the land and the people is immeasurable
He is raising money for Haiti and it's aritsts! HIS PRICES ARE VERY VERY LOW, The money is going back to the artists/who have become friends and http://www.artforhaitianchildren.org/. Please share this info. Prices are low and quality is HIGH HIGH! He has pieces by George Valris, Yves Telemaque...Internationally recognized... artists. He just listed and has sold a lot. Shop Shop Shop
http://www.sideshowbaltimore.com/SIDESHOWsite/HELP_HAITI.html

NADINE LAFOND has put together an online store with our children's art work. Pieces as low as $10 These pieces were created by OUR children at www.artforhaitianchildren.org. 100% of the money will go back to them. Please share this link around. Thanks Nadine and Narcisco! SHOP SHOP SHOP. THINK BIRTHDAY...THINK ANNIVERSARY....THINK ITS A GOOD CAUSE!! THANKS EVERYONE.
http://www.artlives.net/acffc_artwork.htm


I have set up some paintings on my http://www.winkingowl.etsy.com/ site, as time and energy allows I will add to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment